Magazine not seating well - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

Magazine not seating well

This is a discussion on Magazine not seating well within the P238, P938 Pistol forums, part of the SIG Sauer Pistols category; Just bought a brand new P938 and have noticed that whenever I attempt to seat either of the factory mags (one with extension, one without) ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P238, P938 Pistol


P238, P938 Pistol All variations P238, P938

Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Magazine not seating well

Just bought a brand new P938 and have noticed that whenever I attempt to seat either of the factory mags (one with extension, one without) I have difficulty. If I try to simply press the magazine in, it will not seat and I have to press it a second time for it to lock in place. My only other option is to slam the magazine in. Both methods slow my reload times. Any suggestions??
Stolarchos is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ThnkFrst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SEMI
Posts: 8,097
Press Harder the First Time?

Are you seating the mags with the slide closed or open? Should be easier with the slide open. New mags with stiff springs and fully loaded will take more pressure with the slide closed till things loosen up a bit.
ThnkFrst is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bearone2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 34,419
you'll probably have to smack it on the heel of your other hand to seat the mag.

welcome from az
bearone2 is offline  
 
Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
lingham's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 320
This is not really a problem. It is often experienced with new magazines hence the 'tap and rack' drill. This is practiced

by placing dummy rounds randomly in a magazine with live rounds. When the dummy round is chambered and does not fire

you 'tap' (hit the base of the magazine with the heal of your hand to ensure that it is seated properly) and then 'rack' the slide to chamber another round.
bearone2 likes this.
lingham is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThnkFrst View Post
Are you seating the mags with the slide closed or open? Should be easier with the slide open. New mags with stiff springs and fully loaded will take more pressure with the slide closed till things loosen up a bit.
I have been doing it with the slide closed. You think it will eventually seat without issues? I've never had this issue with any of the other pistols I've used.
bearone2 likes this.
Stolarchos is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 51
Same issue with magazine insertion

I picked up a new 938 Equinox last week and noticed the same thing. Standard 6 rd mag that came with it has to be slammed in (or mag release depressed to get the mag in. Same issue with the 2 7 rd extended mags I added. We tried the mags in other P938s at the LGS and they were all the same. Am wondering if the mag release on the brand new production coming out the door has a little sharper inferior edge that will eventually wear down with use. It does make inserting the mag more difficult than in any of my other pistols.
Cdub is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingham View Post
This is not really a problem. It is often experienced with new magazines hence the 'tap and rack' drill. This is practiced

by placing dummy rounds randomly in a magazine with live rounds. When the dummy round is chambered and does not fire

you 'tap' (hit the base of the magazine with the heal of your hand to ensure that it is seated properly) and then 'rack' the slide to chamber another round.
I kind of disagree with you on this one. While I'm quite familiar with "tap, rack, bang" as far as an immediate action to deal with a ftf, I don't think you should have to do it on every magazine change. A fully functional firearm should rarely require immediate action, certainly not every time the magazine is changed. I find it tedious, at best.
bearone2 likes this.
Stolarchos is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ThnkFrst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SEMI
Posts: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolarchos View Post
I have been doing it with the slide closed. You think it will eventually seat without issues? I've never had this issue with any of the other pistols I've used.
I think that in time and with use it will get better but there will always be more pressure required to seat them with the slide closed vs open simply because the ammo/spring in the mag has to be compressed a bit when loading with the slide closed.
animalhd1 likes this.
ThnkFrst is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThnkFrst View Post
Are you seating the mags with the slide closed or open? Should be easier with the slide open. New mags with stiff springs and fully loaded will take more pressure with the slide closed till things loosen up a bit.
Thnkfrst & Bearone- if it's the same issue I'm seeing, it's not a question os "seating" the mag. When inserting the mag, the leading edge of the mag stops at the base of the mag release internally. Normal pressure won't get it to slide past. Once it starts past the mag release, advancing and "seating" are not an issue. Getting the mag started past the mag release is the issue (at least with my new 938 - April build date)
bearone2 likes this.
Cdub is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ThnkFrst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SEMI
Posts: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub View Post
Thnkfrst & Bearone- if it's the same issue I'm seeing, it's not a question os "seating" the mag. When inserting the mag, the leading edge of the mag stops at the base of the mag release internally. Normal pressure won't get it to slide past. Once it starts past the mag release, advancing and "seating" are not an issue. Getting the mag started past the mag release is the issue (at least with my new 938 - April build date)
I didn't get the sense that the OP's issue was the same as yours; I read his as "seating the mag with the slide closed".

You may be right that your issue is related to the shape of the mag catch or the stiffness of the mag catch spring. You might want to call SIG and discuss your particular problem with them to see what, if anything, can be done to resolve it.
bearone2 likes this.
ThnkFrst is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Malicious Compliance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 16,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolarchos View Post
I kind of disagree with you on this one. While I'm quite familiar with "tap, rack, bang" as far as an immediate action to deal with a ftf, I don't think you should have to do it on every magazine change. A fully functional firearm should rarely require immediate action, certainly not every time the magazine is changed. I find it tedious, at best.
I think we all must keep in mind that this is a rather small firearm, SIG is trying to cram a whole lot of goodness into a rather tinyl space. These design challenges can lead to some tightness in various aspects of dimensional stack ups. As others have said, it should loosen up a bit as the mag spring starts breaking in.
Malicious Compliance is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThnkFrst View Post
I didn't get the sense that the OP's issue was the same as yours; I read his as "seating the mag with the slide closed".

You may be right that your issue is related to the shape of the mag catch or the stiffness of the mag catch spring. You might want to call SIG and discuss your particular problem with them to see what, if anything, can be done to resolve it.
You are correct. Cdub and I seem to have different issues. My magazines do not get hung up while sliding past the mag release. I can get the magazine completely inserted, but it will not lock in place with any amount of force short of slamming it in. Interestingly, if I slide the magazine in and try to get it to seat with a regular amount of pressure, it will not seat. However, if I release pressure on the magazine, leave it in place (fully inside the mag well), and then apply the same amount of pressure a second time, it will then seat. I've never seen anything like it.

Last edited by Stolarchos; 04-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Stolarchos is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
ThnkFrst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SEMI
Posts: 8,097
Now That's Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolarchos View Post
Interestingly, if I slide the magazine in and try to get it to seat with a regular amount of pressure, it will not seat. However, if I release pressure on the magazine, leave it in place (fully inside the mag well), and then apply the same amount of pressure a second time, it will then seat. I've never seen anything like it.
We can assume that the laws of physics apply equally to the first and second attempt to seat the mags. So what might have changed. Might the mag catch be shifting/rotating to a more favorable position? Might the column of ammo or the mag spring or both be compressing enough during the first attempt making the second attempt easier?

How about an experiment? Load up your mag to capacity and then press down firmly on the top round compressing it as far as it will go before inserting the mag in the pistol. Does this make it easier to seat the mag the first time?
bearone2 likes this.
ThnkFrst is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
GoneBallisticInAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 13,502
Many new mags on many pistols require them to be inserted "with authority." Consider it combat reload practice.

Treat that magazine like a naughty girl and spank it hard into place.
FLASIG likes this.
GoneBallisticInAlabama is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 964
I've had my 938 for a while and if the slide is closed, the magazine still needs to be pushed with some force. When slide is open it goes in to place smoothly without much force.
Jerrysea is offline  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P238, P938 Pistol

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar SIG Talk Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P938 Magazine Catch Spring Upgrade to Fix Magazine Releasing During Firing johnnymoff P238, P938 Pistol 0 04-09-2017 02:05 PM
P226 magazine deformed (would not eject) texaspilot SIG Sauer Pistols 18 03-18-2017 10:28 AM
522 5 round magazine vetman03 SIG Sauer Rifles 3 02-13-2017 05:14 AM
P250 Magazine Question Telarin P250 & P320 Modular Pistols 6 02-04-2017 12:04 PM
P938 magazine issue Newshooterinva P238, P938 Pistol 7 12-03-2016 05:44 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2017 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.