P938 Defense Ammo Testing - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

P938 Defense Ammo Testing

This is a discussion on P938 Defense Ammo Testing within the P238, P938 Pistol forums, part of the SIG Sauer Pistols category; I'm sure you all have read some of the various articles on 9mm self defense ammo and it's performance. The Lucky Gunner and published FBI ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P238, P938 Pistol


P238, P938 Pistol All variations P238, P938

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TornadoHands
  • 1 Post By Jre32
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
P938 Defense Ammo Testing

I'm sure you all have read some of the various articles on 9mm self defense ammo and it's performance. The Lucky Gunner and published FBI list of approved self defense ammunition are good places to start.

There's no replacement for testing out of your exact firearm, with your exact barrel length, though. Most of the FBI testing and LG testing use closer to a 4" barrel - and the shorter barrel of "pocket guns" can have a negative impact on round velocity and thus the expansion of even modern JHPs.

This guy on YouTube has tested/is testing almost ALL of the popular 9mm self-defense rounds out of a P938 Extreme. He's doing it to exact FBI specifications, through 4 layers of heavy denim and into calibrated 10% ballistics gel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DMgd-w4Yozc27i

I've watched almost all of the videos and found the results to be very comparable to the Lucky Gunner tests. Some rounds (like the Remington Golden Saber, which I was previously carrying) had their performance significantly impacted by the shorter barrel of the P938.

It seems the best rounds out of our particular handgun are the Federal HSTs (Regular or Short Barrel variety), the Winchester Defend, and some of the Winchester Ranger-T's (which may be the same bullets as the Winchester Defend). I personally have just ordered 500 rounds of Federal 147GR +P HST rounds to carry in my P938, despite having about 400 rounds of Golden Saber on-hand. I'll probably continue to use the GS in my larger-framed 9mms as it is generally a well-regarded round.

Some of the other generally-praised defense rounds did NOT do so well out of the P938. definitely worth a look to see how your preferred ammunition did, if it's on the list!

If you haven't read the Lucky Gunner tests, they are also worth checking out:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...tic-tests/#9mm for 9mm - there are also tests for .380 for you P238 owners.
rmcnelly likes this.

Last edited by TornadoHands; 07-24-2016 at 02:53 PM.
TornadoHands is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calif
Posts: 1,202
The most definitive 9mm ammo tests I have seen out if a 3" barrel were done by Ammoquest. His results clearly demonstrated that the HST 124 & 147gr ammo is the top performer. I carry Federal LE HST 147. One of my local ranges is owned and operated by the Sheriff's Dept for the use of their officers plus being open to the public. They also sell the assorted ammo that the local Dept use for training and carry - Federal LE HST 147.
proarc likes this.
Jre32 is offline  
Old 07-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jre32 View Post
The most definitive 9mm ammo tests I have seen out if a 3" barrel were done by Ammoquest. His results clearly demonstrated that the HST 124 & 147gr ammo is the top performer. I carry Federal LE HST 147. One of my local ranges is owned and operated by the Sheriff's Dept for the use of their officers plus being open to the public. They also sell the assorted ammo that the local Dept use for training and carry - Federal LE HST 147.
...that's what I just posted. I went the +P because, even though it had a little bit less penetration, the extra velocity and momentum/mass is more likely to do more damage with a solid bone hit. All parts of the human body don't resemble ballistic gel, and if it hits bone, I want all the force I can get!
TornadoHands is offline  
 
Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calif
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoHands View Post
...that's what I just posted. I went the +P because, even though it had a little bit less penetration, the extra velocity and momentum/mass is more likely to do more damage with a solid bone hit. All parts of the human body don't resemble ballistic gel, and if it hits bone, I want all the force I can get!
Keep in mind that my local source for the HST 147 is the range that supports the Sheriffs Dept. They elect to use the regular HST 147 as opposed to the +p version. I suspect they go with the non +p version because they want to avoid over penetration.
Jre32 is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Free state of New Hampshire (Southeast)
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoHands View Post
...that's what I just posted. I went the +P because, even though it had a little bit less penetration, the extra velocity and momentum/mass is more likely to do more damage with a solid bone hit. All parts of the human body don't resemble ballistic gel, and if it hits bone, I want all the force I can get!

Although HST 147gr SP is a great choice (I use it in my 3" barrel), If you are looking for a round that will penetrate hard objects.. Speer GD's from what I have heard and read are more capable of penetrating hard objects like bone and also wood etc..

From the ballistics tests I have seen for HST's, they were only tested through Gel and 4 layers of denim/gel.

Some one please correct me if that is not 100% accurate.
timmybosko is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
garyji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 334
Federal HST 124's for me. The gun loves it.

G.
garyji is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 299
When I got my Glock 43, I watched a lot of the videos from Ammo Quest. I figure that my Glock would perform in a similar fashion to the 938. As a result of those videos I chose 124gr HST.
ucfgrad93 is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
SOS24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: VA
Posts: 264
I also go with HST for my P938 every since seeing the same info.
SOS24 is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calif
Posts: 1,202
I find most ammo ballistic testing videos to be useless. They usually consist of watching someone shoot assorted bullets into ballistics jell. Then they measure penetration and discuss expansion. When you are done watching the video you come away knowing less than you knew when you started. They almost never draw any conclusions. Ammoquest - and the series he did on 9mm ballistics in a 3" barrel does an excellent job of looking at most of the options - ruling out the unerperformers - and finally declares a WINNER - HST
Jre32 is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybosko View Post
Although HST 147gr SP is a great choice (I use it in my 3" barrel), If you are looking for a round that will penetrate hard objects.. Speer GD's from what I have heard and read are more capable of penetrating hard objects like bone and also wood etc..

From the ballistics tests I have seen for HST's, they were only tested through Gel and 4 layers of denim/gel.

Some one please correct me if that is not 100% accurate.
That's all accurate. Gold Dots are bonded JHPs. Remington BONDED Golden Sabers are too, and Federal also makes the Federal Tactical Bonded JHPs.

For civilian use though, you want less penetration (to a point), not more. Bonded rounds are more likely to go through drywall and other obstacles and hit things besides the target.
TornadoHands is offline  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jre32 View Post
I find most ammo ballistic testing videos to be useless. They usually consist of watching someone shoot assorted bullets into ballistics jell. Then they measure penetration and discuss expansion. When you are done watching the video you come away knowing less than you knew when you started. They almost never draw any conclusions. Ammoquest - and the series he did on 9mm ballistics in a 3" barrel does an excellent job of looking at most of the options - ruling out the unerperformers - and finally declares a WINNER - HST
Indeed, AmmoQuest was what I linked above - it was very useful testing. The Lucky Gunner data is useful, too - same data presented in a more concise format (but longer barrel)
TornadoHands is offline  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P238, P938 Pistol


Search tags for this page

sig p938 ammo test

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar SIG Talk Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P938 Army or P938 Combat IMPD2079 P238, P938 Pistol 20 03-05-2017 01:59 PM
Best self defense ammo to get for a SP2022 BadWolfNYC SIG Sauer Pistols 13 07-22-2016 01:22 PM
New P938 owner, also former P938 owner... kai0n7 P238, P938 Pistol 19 07-19-2016 03:02 PM
Problem with 22 ammo sunshinesig SIG Sauer Pistols 15 07-04-2016 01:29 PM
MCX & Ammo hbrogers SIG Sauer Rifles 19 06-23-2016 03:07 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2017 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.