How Bright To Set The RX For EDC - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

How Bright To Set The RX For EDC

This is a discussion on How Bright To Set The RX For EDC within the P250 & P320 Modular Pistols forums, part of the SIG Sauer Pistols category; Was wondering what brightness setting those who EDC an RX keep it set on. Right now I have mine set so it is just visible ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P250 & P320 Modular Pistols


P250 & P320 Modular Pistols P250, P320, and Exchange kits

Like Tree41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 222
How Bright To Set The RX For EDC

Was wondering what brightness setting those who EDC an RX keep it set on. Right now I have mine set so it is just visible in outdoor sunlight which makes it pretty bright and splotchy indoors although my Romeo is a little splotchy on all settings.
sig78257 is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
One of the reasons I don't use these type optics, on my pistols or rifles, is b/c of issues like this. I don't have time to waste constantly adjusting my optics for environmental uses. They're simply not needed. Truth is if you can't hit a target with iron sights you really don't need to be shooting...just kidding, of course, but seriously...how much do these sights actually help? I've never seen anyone posting questions like this about iron sights. I'm genuinely curious.
Big Cape likes this.
GCBHM is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Fardoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 836
Competitive shooters are using them to shooter faster.

Id set the brightness for indoor condition and use the iron sights out door.
Fardoche is offline  
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 81
"Hold on just a second, bad guys - I need to adjust the brightness on my red dot to properly dome you"

The RX comes with cowitnessing fiber optic sights that you can use rather than futzing with the optic in a real defensive situation.

As for brightness - it doesn't really matter in the 99% of situations in which a citizen would engage an EDC weapon, which is 15 feet or less. If there's a situation 75 feet away and you're concerned that your dot is too bright for proper MOA, you're probably better off retreating from the situation as it most likely does not concern you and there would be significant legal issues you will face to justify firing at a target from that distance.

As for a technical answer, just keep it at the lowest brightness setting for the sake of your batteries because leaving the Romeo on all the time usually drains the battery in about a week.
Big Cape likes this.
Wrecks is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardoche View Post
Competitive shooters are using them to shooter faster.

Id set the brightness for indoor condition and use the iron sights out door.
That I can see, but for EDC I don't see them as practical. To each their own, certainly, but unless someone can show me a significant advantage to using them, I don't see me bearing the extra expense and time.
GCBHM is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks View Post
As for brightness - it doesn't really matter in the 99% of situations in which a citizen would engage an EDC weapon, which is 15 feet or less.
That isn't exactly true. The statistics indicate that the average gun fight occurs within a distance of no more than 21', but less than 10% of these gun fights take place no the street. Most of these confrontations are reported to happen either at a residence or place of business, and there is no clear indicator that 99% of these altercations take place at a distance of 15' or less. The distances tend to vary greatly when you consider the full spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks View Post
If there's a situation 75 feet away and you're concerned that your dot is too bright for proper MOA, you're probably better off retreating from the situation as it most likely does not concern you and there would be significant legal issues you will face to justify firing at a target from that distance.
Indeed! Regardless of the sights, at distances greater than say 50' you're venturing into having to explain yourself, which isn't a good place to be after a shooting.
Big Cape and DPeter85 like this.
GCBHM is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 222
The advantage of the red dots is they are faster and easier to see. I wear glasses which I don't always have with me and while iron sights work for me most of the time with certain back rounds and lighting they disappear. I don't remember seeing an AR at the shooting ranges I go to that doesn't have a red dot and people like Farnam etc. recommend them on rifles, same reason to have one on a handgun. It's whatever works best for you. I have a laser on an LCP and a J frame, neither has usable sights so I kike the laser. I put a laser on a 938 and find I am slower and not as accurate with the laser and may take it off although it is good for dry firing, but the 938 comes with excellent sights. As for the reliability, the iron sights that come with the 320 are sig night sights and being taller are actually easier for me to pick up.
cdavis and asdfzxcv like this.
sig78257 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
The advantage of the red dots is they are faster and easier to see.
Maybe so, for you, but not for me. I find them to be more cumbersome than helpful, and issues like the OP asks about happen all the time. Certainly I can see there would be some advantage for taking longer shots, but as it relates to CQB/PD...it's just not for me. I'm all for what works for ya...I just don't see the need.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
I wear glasses which I don't always have with me and while iron sights work for me most of the time with certain back rounds and lighting they disappear.
I can see that. I wear glasses too, but I do always have them on me. That said, though, wrt sights fading in the background, I can understand why some would want the dot, but I would be more likely to install the new Meprolite MAKO sights.

FT Bullseye - Self-Illuminated Night Sights


Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
I don't remember seeing an AR at the shooting ranges I go to that doesn't have a red dot and people like Farnam etc. recommend them on rifles, same reason to have one on a handgun. It's whatever works best for you.
I see them on every AR...but I'm more inclined to go with something with a little more magnification than a simple red dot. Depends on the intended application for me, but for a standard defense AR I run mine with iron sights. I am looking at putting a Vortex Spitfire 3x on top and moving my IS to the side, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
I have a laser on an LCP and a J frame, neither has usable sights so I kike the laser. I put a laser on a 938 and find I am slower and not as accurate with the laser and may take it off although it is good for dry firing, but the 938 comes with excellent sights.
I'm not big on lasers either, but again, it comes down to application. I'd be more inclined to use a laser on a rifle than a pistol, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
As for the reliability, the iron sights that come with the 320 are sig night sights and being taller are actually easier for me to pick up.
I do like their sights. For me the whole MOS concept is cool, but just seems to be more of a snag hazard than an actual aid for most defense situations. That said, to each his own.

Last edited by GCBHM; 04-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.
GCBHM is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
DPeter85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 485
I'm just picking up my first carry-able MOS pistol. I doubt I will use it as an EDC but I like to have the option. The full size just isn't an option for me to carry.

I do however think it's excellent for a HD pistol application. That and compentitive shooting are the real reasons I want one.
GCBHM likes this.
DPeter85 is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
One of the reasons I don't use these type optics, on my pistols or rifles, is b/c of issues like this. I don't have time to waste constantly adjusting my optics for environmental uses. They're simply not needed. Truth is if you can't hit a target with iron sights you really don't need to be shooting...just kidding, of course, but seriously...how much do these sights actually help? I've never seen anyone posting questions like this about iron sights. I'm genuinely curious.
I don't think you've really thought this statement through. Since iron sights are not adjustable for light level....why would you expect anyone to ask such a question about them?

Also, many questions regarding new things disappear once they've been around for a hundred years or so.

You're own statement of "constantly adjusting optics for environmentl issues only makes sens if your "environmental issue are constantly changing...and even then you would set for the brightest needed and go to town...you wouldn't "constantly"change them.

to answer your question although I sense it is rhetorical (but you say you are genuinely curious)...depending on your vision "these sights actually help" a great deal!

The earht really is round even though it was a new idea once upon a time.
steved13 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
Was wondering what brightness setting those who EDC an RX keep it set on. Right now I have mine set so it is just visible in outdoor sunlight which makes it pretty bright and splotchy indoors although my Romeo is a little splotchy on all settings.
Leaving it bright enough for outdoor would be the most prudent, you can back it off if the situation permits. For target work having it on the low end helps me to work more finely. Brighter will bloom a little but for defense put the dot on the target and you're good to go.
steved13 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
I don't think you've really thought this statement through. Since iron sights are not adjustable for light level....why would you expect anyone to ask such a question about them?
I didn't expect anyone to answer such a question about iron sights. Why would you think I did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
Also, many questions regarding new things disappear once they've been around for a hundred years or so.
Um...ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
You're own statement of "constantly adjusting optics for environmentl issues only makes sens if your "environmental issue are constantly changing...and even then you would set for the brightest needed and go to town...you wouldn't "constantly"change them.
My statement of constantly adjusting optics relates to the question the OP posted...he asked how to adjust the sights b/c he has them set for one environment, which isn't best for another. If I'm in a high pressure situation where I'm potentially going to be going from light to dark and back to light (like some police and service-memebers find themselves doing...or like the OP asked about) I'm not really going to want to have to be fiddling with my sights all the time. Sure, one can set their optics for a general use setting, which is what I think the OP was asking for input on, but as it relates to my personal wants, I'm not in need of a device that requires those type changes, and I don't want to have to fool with it. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
to answer your question although I sense it is rhetorical (but you say you are genuinely curious)...depending on your vision "these sights actually help" a great deal!
If you had taken the time to read the entire thread you'd see that I've seen where the sights can aid in some circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
The earht really is round even though it was a new idea once upon a time.
Thanks for that ground breaking revelation, bro!

Last edited by GCBHM; 04-21-2017 at 06:52 AM.
GCBHM is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
steved13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig78257 View Post
Was wondering what brightness setting those who EDC an RX keep it set on. Right now I have mine set so it is just visible in outdoor sunlight which makes it pretty bright and splotchy indoors although my Romeo is a little splotchy on all settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
One of the reasons I don't use these type optics, on my pistols or rifles, is b/c of issues like this. I don't have time to waste constantly adjusting my optics for environmental uses. They're simply not needed. Truth is if you can't hit a target with iron sights you really don't need to be shooting...just kidding, of course, but seriously...how much do these sights actually help? I've never seen anyone posting questions like this about iron sights. I'm genuinely curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
I didn't expect anyone to ask such a question about iron sights. Why would you think I did?
The OP only asked 1 question and it was about where is best to adjust the brightness for EDC on his Romeo1 and keep it set...in red you reference the question applying it to Iron sights...so the reason why I think you did....is because you did? Like I said I don't think you thought it through, because I couldn't believe you asked it anymore than you can.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
My statement of constantly adjusting optics relates to the question the OP posted...he asked how to adjust the sights b/c he has them set for one environment, which isn't best for another. If I'm in a high pressure situation where I'm potentially going to be going from light to dark and back to light (like some police and service-memebers find themselves doing...or like the OP asked about) I'm not really going to want to have to be fiddling with my sights all the time. Sure, one can set their optics for a general use setting, which is what I think the OP was asking for input on, but as it relates to my personal wants, I'm not in need of a device that requires those type changes, and I don't want to have to fool with it. Does that make sense?



If you had taken the time to read the entire thread you'd see that I've seen where the sights can aid in some circumstances.
You see in blue where you went wrong...the OP asked about where to"keep it set" nothing about adjusting it at all let alone constantly adjusting it...you for some reason decided to interject the false information that refelx sights require constant adjustment...when in fact if you had any experience you'd know, you really "need" to adjust them very little but you can adjust them as often as you'd like.
steved13 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
Q. Why do we need red dots when we have iron sights?
A. Because some of us have aging eyes and seeing the dot on the target is way easier / faster that irons.

Q. What brightness setting should I use?
A. Whatever works best for you. I leave mine on all the time somewhere in the midrange which works for me in all but brightest direct sunlight

Q. How long does the battery last?
A. I've been EDC a compact RX for about 7 weeks now it still has the original battery.
steved13 and JohnK1987 like this.
MLC7 is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
GCBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
The OP only asked 1 question and it was about where is best to adjust the brightness for EDC on his Romeo1 and keep it set...in red you reference the question applying it to Iron sights...so the reason why I think you did....is because you did? Like I said I don't think you thought it through, because I couldn't believe you asked it anymore than you can.
Yeah, first, I really don't see where it's that big a deal with you, but I'll continue to play along for now...just b/c I said I'd never seen anyone post questions like this about iron sights doesn't mean I expected anyone to answer questions like this about irons sights. I think perhaps you read something else into it, but it wasn't a question...it was a statement. I thought it through and knew what I wanted to say. You're the one who seems to have misunderstood it. As I said...it wasn't a question. It was a statement of fact as it relates to what I've seen, or haven't seen, rather. As to why I would chime in at all...have you ever heard of the concept of playing the devil's advocate in order to get others to make an argument for something so that you can gather pertinent information you hadn't considered before? Just food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
see in blue where you went wrong...the OP asked about where to"keep it set" nothing about adjusting it at all let alone constantly adjusting it...you for some reason decided to interject the false information that refelx sights require constant adjustment...when in fact if you had any experience you'd know, you really "need" to adjust them very little but you can adjust them as often as you'd like.
OK, so as I stated, I think he was asking where to keep a general setting, but again, my point was that it's not a necessary device as I see it, and I don't want to have to fiddle with making the adjustments, especially when it isn't necessary, whether they "need" to be made much or not. ANY adjustment is unnecessary at all. Now, if someone wants to run it, fine, I have no problem with it, and I'll admit I am intrigued by the whole concept, but I'm not sold on its advantage being worth the added expense and time for me on a carry gun. But again...why are you taking such issue over my opinion about a piece of gear? It's not like you can prove what I think about it wrong or anything, so what gives? It's what I think as it relates to what I want on a carry gun. Whether you agree with what I think or not, are you going to lose sleep over it?
GCBHM is online now  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > P250 & P320 Modular Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar SIG Talk Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOUND! Found P229 Stainless Slide Bright (Not Black) to fit on my US 229-R frame Louski Classifieds 0 01-26-2017 11:13 AM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2017 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.