If You Had a Choice... - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

If You Had a Choice...

This is a discussion on If You Had a Choice... within the SIG Sauer Rifles forums, part of the SIG Sauer Forum category; If you had a choice to use one of the two following rifle configurations for home defense, which would you pick? A. MPX 8" pistol ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Rifles


SIG Sauer Rifles SIG Sauer Rifle Forum: SIG Sauer Rifles - SIG50, SIG516, SIG522, SIG551, SIG556, SIG716, M400, Blaser, SSG 3000, MCX, MPX

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
If You Had a Choice...

If you had a choice to use one of the two following rifle configurations for home defense, which would you pick?

A. MPX 8" pistol with brace, 9mm suppressor, subsonic (147gr.) 9mm JHP ammo, light, and red dot sight with BIS.

B. MCX 9" 300BL pistol with brace, 7.62 suppressor, subsonic defensive ammo TBD, light, red dot with BIS.

Outer house wall penetration is a concern.

Thanks
MLC7 is online now  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
oswiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St Louis, MO USA
Posts: 236
I'd be looking into the MCX.
For HD, day or night, IMHO a laser would be a better choice -- no sighting required just put the laser dot on the target and press the trigger.
A weapon light might also be a consideration.
However, also consider a double stack 45acp pistol w/laser. Several available; STI probably being the most reliable.
Finally, a Remington 270 shotgun, with laser, should be considered.
oswiz is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Member
 
SpaceGhostGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC7 View Post
If you had a choice to use one of the two following rifle configurations for home defense, which would you pick?

A. MPX 8" pistol with brace, 9mm suppressor, subsonic (147gr.) 9mm JHP ammo, light, and red dot sight with BIS.

B. MCX 9" 300BL pistol with brace, 7.62 suppressor, subsonic defensive ammo TBD, light, red dot with BIS.

Outer house wall penetration is a concern.

Thanks

I've been thinking about this exact same thing lately. My primary HD gun, mostly for a "shelter-in-place" barricade-in-bedroom, hold what you've got kind of scenario is a Beretta 1301 12g. But if I was going to be moving around my house, looking for some bump in the night, what would I need? I really like the compactness and control of an MPX, but then I saw the MCX 9in with the collapsing brace. Wow. This is a lot more power in a still very compact package. And the 300 BLK is optimized for 9in barrels. Very versatile with caliber and barrel exchange kits.

I'd go with the MCX, but I might forgo the suppressor (I have active earpro with my HD gun) and use 110gr or lighter rounds, especially if exterior wall penetration is an issue. Maybe something from Lehigh Defense.
SpaceGhostGun is offline  
 
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 2,051
My suggestion somewhat negates the suppressor for either firearm, and that's the use of Corbon's Glaser Safety Slugs. They tend to eliminate wall penetration, due to their frangible design. It appears only available in 9mm, there was the same type of rounds available from Magsafe, but apparently they are no longer in business, and they had rifle ammunition of the same style.
Willard is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ray1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CO
Posts: 478
If You Had a Choice...

I wouldn't choose either but only because I'd be paranoid about trying to explain the pistol with the "arm brace" if anything ended up in court as a result of me having to use deadly force. I tend to just stick with less flashy and controversial weapons like handguns and shotguns.
ray1970 is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 154
B.

Pistol/Armbrace/shoulder no longer an issue, per ATF
boris95 is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
Good ideas.

Truth be told I actually already own both of these guns in these exact configurations, except the suppressors are still in ATF jail. I just can't decide which one to leave next to the nightstand.

Note, the suppressors are just to save whats left of my hearing and the King has told us slaves that shouldering pistol braces is okay again.
MLC7 is online now  
Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
JAK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8
I would avoid the suppresor and use active ear pro. If the bad guy shoots you will still lose your hearing without ear protection. You also avoid any stigma assocated with having used a suppressed firearm.

I would also go with a 110 or 125 grain supersonic bullet and the 300 blackout. They tend to expand and stop quicker then 9mm defensive ammo which the hollowpoint tends to fill and act like FMJ when shot through walls.

John K
JAK is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 287
My weapon of choice is a Mossberg 590a1. My backup is the 9" 300BLK MCX.
MLC7 likes this.
kilyung is offline  
Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
I would avoid the suppresor and use active ear pro. If the bad guy shoots you will still lose your hearing without ear protection. You also avoid any stigma assocated with having used a suppressed firearm.

I would also go with a 110 or 125 grain supersonic bullet and the 300 blackout. They tend to expand and stop quicker then 9mm defensive ammo which the hollowpoint tends to fill and act like FMJ when shot through walls.

John K
Interesting points on suppression. I suppose if I had time to jump out of bed and grab the bed side rifle, or handgun for that matter, I should have time to throw on ear muffs which would be better in a gun fight.

I was thinking the same on the 300BL, less drywall penetration than the 9MM.
MLC7 is online now  
Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Thompson415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Posts: 890
One thing to also keep in mind that no one thinks or talks about is IF or WHEN something goes bump in the night and your using a shotgun or rifle-how will it effect your night vision? Ever fired a 9mm handgun in a dark room compared to a 5.56, 300BO, or 12 gauge? There is a difference. Personally of the two I would opt for the MPX as the muzzle blast wont be as bad (odds are you won't get your ears on) the flash wouldn't be as bad, and lets face it at contact distances, 0-25 yards there really isn't that much of a difference between the two calibers.
Thompson415 is offline  
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson415 View Post
One thing to also keep in mind that no one thinks or talks about is IF or WHEN something goes bump in the night and your using a shotgun or rifle-how will it effect your night vision? Ever fired a 9mm handgun in a dark room compared to a 5.56, 300BO, or 12 gauge? There is a difference. Personally of the two I would opt for the MPX as the muzzle blast wont be as bad (odds are you won't get your ears on) the flash wouldn't be as bad, and lets face it at contact distances, 0-25 yards there really isn't that much of a difference between the two calibers.
I did not think of the muzzle flash as I have never fired any guns in darkness. I'm glad you brought up the point. I just did a quick search of the interwebs and there is some video demonstrations that suppressors also reduce muzzle flash somewhat.

Many factors determine just how much they reduce the flash. I think barrel length / propellant burn is one major factor. My MPX is the 8in barrel but haven't found any data on 9mm burn vs. barrel length. I did read somewhere that 300BL subsonic ammo generally burns all propellant within a 9-11in. barrel. Either way both guns will be suppressed....someday.
MLC7 is online now  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 56
Suppressor Advantages and Disadvantages.

Advantages as applied to Home Defense:
1. Need all your senses to fight. A suppressor not only protects hearing, but as well, significantly reduces muzzle flash and therefore night blindness.
2. Reduces muzzle flip due to added weight at the barrel providing more accurate follow-up shoots.
3. Depending on your firearm proficiency, helps eliminate flinch from anticipation of a firearm discharge (noise, flash, recoil).
4. Even though a suppressor does not eliminate all noise, it is not immediately "heard" as a firearm discharge, but rather some other noise. Therefore, still allows an element of surprise for follow-up engagements (may be more than one bad guy in your home).
5. Some will argue about this one: You can hear your firearm's action cycle with a suppressor, and if you are familiar with the "correct" sound, you have confidence it cycled correctly without a malfunction.

Disadvantages as applied to Home Defense:
1. Adds weight. I'm really not referring to additional muscle strain, but some will practice without a suppressor, but then configure it with a suppressor for HD and not have a feel for that additional weight.
2. Adds length; thereby, making maneuvering around hallways and cramped space more difficult.
3. May block a portion of your flashlight beam.
4. For the most noise reduction effect from a suppressor, you will have to limit your ammo type to sub-sonic.
5. Due to gas blowback more routine maintenance of your firearm is required. That is, clean your firearm more frequently than you would without a suppressor. IMHO, clean it after every training session.

Something to consider: There are some Prosecutors that will label a suppressor as an assassin's tool trying to make a case against you even if it was a legal defensive shooting. This is where getting Congress to pass the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (HR 367 and S 59) that will start the education of the general public on suppressors/silencers.
Thompson415 likes this.
d2randall is offline  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #14
Member
 
dcbrown88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 30
Definitely an MCX.
dcbrown88 is offline  
Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2randall View Post
Suppressor Advantages and Disadvantages.

Advantages as applied to Home Defense:
1. Need all your senses to fight. A suppressor not only protects hearing, but as well, significantly reduces muzzle flash and therefore night blindness.
2. Reduces muzzle flip due to added weight at the barrel providing more accurate follow-up shoots.
3. Depending on your firearm proficiency, helps eliminate flinch from anticipation of a firearm discharge (noise, flash, recoil).
4. Even though a suppressor does not eliminate all noise, it is not immediately "heard" as a firearm discharge, but rather some other noise. Therefore, still allows an element of surprise for follow-up engagements (may be more than one bad guy in your home).
5. Some will argue about this one: You can hear your firearm's action cycle with a suppressor, and if you are familiar with the "correct" sound, you have confidence it cycled correctly without a malfunction.

Disadvantages as applied to Home Defense:
1. Adds weight. I'm really not referring to additional muscle strain, but some will practice without a suppressor, but then configure it with a suppressor for HD and not have a feel for that additional weight.
2. Adds length; thereby, making maneuvering around hallways and cramped space more difficult.
3. May block a portion of your flashlight beam.
4. For the most noise reduction effect from a suppressor, you will have to limit your ammo type to sub-sonic.
5. Due to gas blowback more routine maintenance of your firearm is required. That is, clean your firearm more frequently than you would without a suppressor. IMHO, clean it after every training session.

Something to consider: There are some Prosecutors that will label a suppressor as an assassin's tool trying to make a case against you even if it was a legal defensive shooting. This is where getting Congress to pass the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (HR 367 and S 59) that will start the education of the general public on suppressors/silencers.
Great Points!
Advantage #5 - Never heard that before. That's some deep thinking and/or experience.
MLC7 is online now  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Rifles

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar SIG Talk Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9mm ammo choice? tinman221 Ammo and Reloading 33 10-11-2016 08:27 AM
P2022 a weird choice? Kelleytoons SIG Sauer Pistols 53 10-05-2016 06:36 AM
Sig MPX pistol, barrel, suppressor choice? snakyjake SIG Sauer Rifles 13 07-05-2016 08:10 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2017 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.