6.5 Creedmore vs .308 - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

6.5 Creedmore vs .308

This is a discussion on 6.5 Creedmore vs .308 within the Guns forums, part of the Gun Forum category; I'm considering a new AR10 purchase for the sole purpose of precision shooting. The problem is I'm torn between 6.5 Creedmore and .308 with a ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > Gun Forum > Guns

Guns Gun Talk - For all gun topics and discussions

Like Tree44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 65
Likes Received 29
6.5 Creedmore vs .308

I'm considering a new AR10 purchase for the sole purpose of precision shooting. The problem is I'm torn between 6.5 Creedmore and .308 with
a minimum of a 20" barrel.

Just wanting your thoughts. Here's my pros/cons

6.5-
Pro's: Proven more accurate and flatter shooting from 100-300 yards. Softer recoil and more "pleasant" to shoot.
Con's: More or less a "boutique" round. May still be popular 5 years from now, maybe not, making it a harder round to find and then pay a premium for it.

.308-
Pro's: Very common and easy round to find (worldwide) and stockpile. Very accurate particularly in match grade and outside of 100 yards.
Hard hitting.
Con's: Much more recoil, and arguably not as accurate at 100 yards (or any distance with junk ammo). However with a 20" barrel, it would be softer shooting.

BTW, I'm leaning towards the Rock River LAR8. Thoughts? (no flaming please, legitimate question)
weatom is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 09-16-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: N/A
Posts: 176
Likes Received 202
If you shoot only factory, the 6.5 is considerable faster and will lead to a shorter barrel life, throat erosion. I love 308, it's a fun round to shoot and can be made accurate.
Papa Sig and Redheeler like this.
oysterer is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Topeka ks
Posts: 640
Likes Received 344
Subscribed. I’m in the same boat currently
djquik1 is offline  
 
Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
S_S
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 76
Likes Received 76
Get a platform where you can change the barrels or uppers.

When you select the lower, get multicaliber. Then buy the upper from someone like PSA. Uually they have both uppers and very reasonable prices and good quality. Now you will have both the .308 and 6.5 and swap them out.
S_S is online now  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 65
Likes Received 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterer View Post
If you shoot only factory, the 6.5 is considerable faster and will lead to a shorter barrel life, throat erosion. I love 308, it's a fun round to shoot and can be made accurate.
Well after checking around, you do have a point. The consensus seems to be as follows (give or take 500 rounds) on barrel life:
6.5 Creed- 3000 rounds
.308- 5000 rounds
5.56- 5500 rounds

However, most were quick to point out we're talking sub MOA accuracy. The barrel still has life past those points, just not quite as accurate. The barrel material and how well you take care of the barrel factors in to (no rapid fire, cooling period between shots, etc)
weatom is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
theLBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 2,093
Likes Received 2658
how far do you want to shoot?
do you want to compete, or just for fun?

6.5CM isn't going anywhere soon, but it may be replaced by 6mm ARC or other...

if you want to shoot sub moa beyond 900 yards, you'll want 6.5CM, because .308 is going to go subsonic before 1000 yards at normal elevations.

personally, i believe patriot should own a .308, but that is jmo.
theLBC is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 416
Likes Received 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatom View Post
I'm considering a new AR10 purchase for the sole purpose of precision shooting. The problem is I'm torn between 6.5 Creedmore and .308 with
a minimum of a 20" barrel.

Just wanting your thoughts. Here's my pros/cons

6.5-
Pro's: Proven more accurate and flatter shooting from 100-300 yards. Softer recoil and more "pleasant" to shoot.
Con's: More or less a "boutique" round. May still be popular 5 years from now, maybe not, making it a harder round to find and then pay a premium for it.

.308-
Pro's: Very common and easy round to find (worldwide) and stockpile. Very accurate particularly in match grade and outside of 100 yards.
Hard hitting.
Con's: Much more recoil, and arguably not as accurate at 100 yards (or any distance with junk ammo). However with a 20" barrel, it would be softer shooting.

BTW, I'm leaning towards the Rock River LAR8. Thoughts? (no flaming please, legitimate question)
WEA—— for Hunting the .308 is much more versatile and more effective on Big Game. Accuracy should be well under MOA and closer to 1/2” at 100 yrds with premium Ammo and a good rifle/barrel. For just target shooting - really doesn’t matter. The 6.5 Creed May have slightly less recoil. The 6.5 Creed is a marketing marvel and designed to convince some that they need to buy another rifle - same as the purpose behind most Newly developed calibers. There is nothing the 6.5 will do that is not already being done by a .243, .25-06, .270, .280, 7mm etc... They ALL work just fine....but in order to sell New guns you Must create a “reason” and New calibers seem to do that. Just my opinion, shared by some but Not by all...
Chuckbuck is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 65
Likes Received 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
how far do you want to shoot?
do you want to compete, or just for fun?

6.5CM isn't going anywhere soon, but it may be replaced by 6mm ARC or other...

if you want to shoot sub moa beyond 900 yards, you'll want 6.5CM, because .308 is going to go subsonic before 1000 yards at normal elevations.

personally, i believe patriot should own a .308, but that is jmo.
Just for fun and for the challenge, but of course with personal defense in the back of my mind too. Nothing past 300 yards. Don't know of a gun range around my area that has anything past 300 anyway
weatom is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
theLBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 2,093
Likes Received 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatom View Post
Just for fun and for the challenge, but of course with personal defense in the back of my mind too. Nothing past 300 yards. Don't know of a gun range around my area that has anything past 300 anyway
ok, the biggest advantages for 6.5CM over .308 are:
- higher BC and easier wind calls. under 500 yards this matters very little.
- lighter recoil

biggest advantages of .308 are:
- greater energy under 400 yards.
- x2 longer barrel life - particularly if you like mag dumps
- cheap surplus m80 ammo available (can be cheaper to shoot)
- may be easier to scavenge ammo in **** situation from farm houses etc.

i moderately heavy .308 precision gas gun with a brake is not that bad as far as recoil. jmo.
theLBC is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 65
Likes Received 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbuck View Post
WEA–– for Hunting the .308 is much more versatile and more effective on Big Game. Accuracy should be well under MOA and closer to 1/2” at 100 yrds with premium Ammo and a good rifle/barrel. For just target shooting - really doesn’t matter. The 6.5 Creed May have slightly less recoil. The 6.5 Creed is a marketing marvel and designed to convince some that they need to buy another rifle - same as the purpose behind most Newly developed calibers. There is nothing the 6.5 will do that is not already being done by a .243, .25-06, .270, .280, 7mm etc... They ALL work just fine....but in order to sell New guns you Must create a “reason” and New calibers seem to do that. Just my opinion, shared by some but Not by all...
Yup, and that was kind-of my point too. Heck I grew up with .243 and .270's And they're still around. But in an AR platform, generally you have only a few choices that aren't a "super boutique" round like .224 Valkyrie. I also agree with what you said about 6.5. It was basically "invented" by Hornady, but still a very popular round from what I can see.
weatom is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
theLBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 2,093
Likes Received 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatom View Post
Yup, and that was kind-of my point too. Heck I grew up with .243 and .270's And they're still around. But in an AR platform, generally you have only a few choices that aren't a "super boutique" round like .224 Valkyrie. I also agree with what you said about 6.5. It was basically "invented" by Hornady, but still a very popular round from what I can see.
6.5CM is by far the most popular caliber for PRS, although the pros might run mostly 6MM.

if you are serious about long range shooting, i suggest you join snipershide.
theLBC is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tdubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Woodfin, NC
Posts: 2,709
Likes Received 4633
All that the other .308 proponents have said. The .308 is an inherently accurate cartridge and at 300 yards will be just as good as 6.5 C.

As far as recoil I consider the AR 10 / LR 308 the softest shooting platform for .308. I've shot my 18" LR 308 mid length gas side by side with my brother's McMillan stocked match M1-A and the LR 308 is noticeably softer shooting.
S_S likes this.
tdubya is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Papa Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,172
Likes Received 7364
This is a picture from my 308. Incredibly accurate. But mine is a custom built bolt gun. And I can reach out to 1000 yards all day long ringing steel.

5 rounds at 100 yards.
AC5F217A-ACA6-4D51-A737-01BE7FD4A528.jpeg

That’s with factory ammo-

4932228B-94D2-4D21-AE34-E02A2DAC60EA.jpeg 15B355D6-7618-42C6-A288-8D65F868DD1C.jpeg

And with a good brake on the gun like this, the gun is very soft shooting. My grandson when he was 3 years old was laying behind this gun taking shots. That shows how soft the recoil is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0DFAC3F7-6603-4B48-9DB4-48584118A619.jpeg (512.6 KB, 3 views)
SHOOT, Twister, Mike55 and 5 others like this.
Papa Sig is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 6,338
Likes Received 7748
Caliber wars are always fun. The arguments about Accuracy, Range, Terminal Velocity and energy vs recoil, flash and muzzle blast are always a lot of fun.
The arguments that Armchair (and Bench Rest) guys have about these are always entertaining. But there are a couple of things that are usually last on the list.

1 Ammunition Performance. Most of these guys hand load. Some of them with needs so esoteric that they measure by 1/10 grain both the Bullet and the powder. And they even measure the case capacity for calculations of pressure increases.
2. Bullet performance. There are books written about how Spitzer based, boat tail, and other strange configurations are made with the idea of the perfect bullet through air, water, rain, bucking wind, and all of the other items that plague a good shooter.
3. Terminal performance. The whole gelatin story with 2, 3, 5 layers of leather, canvas, denim and every other material you can imagine.

All of which are pretty academic when you are talking about a Combat Chassis rifle that was designed to kill people at ranges of 400 (Marine) 1000 (Sniper) yards and other distances in between. (And Beyond).

Leave the esoteric cartridges in the Bolt Action frames. or as a barrel you can change out on your multi chassis frame.
USMC6872 is offline  
Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 65
Likes Received 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sig View Post
This is a picture from my 308. Incredibly accurate. But mine is a custom built bolt gun. And I can reach out to 1000 yards all day long ringing steel.

5 rounds at 100 yards.
Attachment 362532

That’s with factory ammo-

Attachment 362526 Attachment 362528

And with a good brake on the gun like this, the gun is very soft shooting. My grandson when he was 3 years old was laying behind this gun taking shots. That shows how soft the recoil is.

Impressive to say the least!
Mike55 and Papa Sig like this.
weatom is offline  
Reply

  SIG Talk > Gun Forum > Guns

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2020 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.