The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

This is a discussion on The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. within the Legion Series forums, part of the SIG Sauer Pistols category; Second trip to the range with the 226 SAO RXP today. The Good: The Legion is now up to 200 rounds and has functioned perfectly. ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > Legion Series

Legion Series All Legion Variations

Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Second trip to the range with the 226 SAO RXP today.

The Good: The Legion is now up to 200 rounds and has functioned perfectly. She still looks good also.

The Bad: My shooting. I took a three year break from shooting while chasing around racetracks. My so so pistol skills deteriorated to horrendous.

The Ugly: Why my old ugly self of course.

All the dry fire in the world doesnít help me. Everything goes perfectly during dry fire.
At the range is a different story. Some mental thing gets my hands shaking more than normal and I get a jerky trigger finger.
Just look how bad my first target was at 7.5 yards.






I brought some snap caps along to mix in my mags to help work against my mental thing. I slowly improved throughout my session to where I was happy, for now. I know Iím capable of better, but itís a start. Just need more range time as my hands were getting steadier as I went along.

My 5th and last target.






Sure glad a bud of mine zeroed the red dot in for me as I know not hitting dead center is all my fault.
Still a lot of fun getting back up to speed.
The X5 frame/trigger guard cut on the Legions make them worth the price. Best mod over the standard pistols in my opinion.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Twistedracer; 07-12-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Twistedracer is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 07-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
DuchessX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,907
Likes Received 3457
Thought was going to have to bust you for political pictures in wrong forum

Enjoy the puppy!
Twistedracer and phlyers13 like this.
DuchessX is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JimLob65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 725
Likes Received 464
Just gotta be sure you donít have a death grip on the pistol & that you pull the trigger smoothly. Just takes practice...........which is a good thing
Twistedracer likes this.
JimLob65 is offline  
 
Old 07-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessX View Post
Thought was going to have to bust you for political pictures in wrong forum

Enjoy the puppy!
If I had posted a pic of my ugly old self you definitely would have
DuchessX likes this.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
Just gotta be sure you donít have a death grip on the pistol & that you pull the trigger smoothly. Just takes practice...........which is a good thing
Trust me, itís all mental lol.
My hands shake just holding them out there empty. But itís nice to hit the snap cap and see that I didnít jerk. And then Iíd scold myself when I do see the jerk. I figured out itís the anticipation of the shot. Shooting my other pistol double action itís not an issue as I just keep pulling the trigger till she breaks. In single action having the trigger up against the wall, that anticipation kicks in. Slowly getting it worked out.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Spok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,316
Likes Received 1900
One of the "problems" might be your targets. The "bullseye" is too big. The maxim, "Aim small, miss small" applies.

If you are talking defensive shooting, you are doing very well.
DuchessX and Twistedracer like this.
Spok is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spok View Post
One of the "problems" might be your targets. The "bullseye" is too big. The maxim, "Aim small, miss small" applies.

If you are talking defensive shooting, you are doing very well.
Pretty much just defensive shooting. But I might bring the smaller bullseye targets next time to see if it helps me progress quicker.
DuchessX likes this.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
LostHawaiian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 439
Likes Received 701
I gotta tell you, at first glance, I read it as "75 yards" and thought "What a ninny, complaining about that, I'd be jumping up and down".

Having said that, you didn't mention how you were shooting, but even at a slow, steady fire rate, I wouldn't say you're in too bad a shape. It sounds like you're on track diagnosing any issues and I'm sure you'll be back in form shortly.

I do the same thing, anticipating the recoil, although not so much these days, but I'll get the occasional flyer . My wife used to do the same, but would always argue that wasn't the problem. Then one day at the range, I loaded her mags with randomly placed snap caps and filmed her while shooting. Once she saw how much she was "dipping", she started showing much improvement.
DuchessX and Twistedracer like this.
LostHawaiian is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawaiian View Post
I gotta tell you, at first glance, I read it as "75 yards" and thought "What a ninny, complaining about that, I'd be jumping up and down".

Having said that, you didn't mention how you were shooting, but even at a slow, steady fire rate, I wouldn't say you're in too bad a shape. It sounds like you're on track diagnosing any issues and I'm sure you'll be back in form shortly.

I do the same thing, anticipating the recoil, although not so much these days, but I'll get the occasional flyer . My wife used to do the same, but would always argue that wasn't the problem. Then one day at the range, I loaded her mags with randomly placed snap caps and filmed her while shooting. Once she saw how much she was "dipping", she started showing much improvement.
Itíll be great once we can start doing our steel shoots again. Way more fun than paper and just more relaxed when ringing those plates. Unfortunately I donít see that happening with all those covid rules.
DuchessX likes this.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
George16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 1,651
Likes Received 1154
How do you do your dry fire?

When I dry fire with my shadow 2, I squeeze the trigger in DA. I do this for every drill I do while dryfiring. Examples of drill in Ben Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded book include some oof the following drills; Bill drill, El Presidente, 6 X 6 etc.

I do this with scale targets taped on the wall like this.


I have to make sure the dot or the front sight are always always on the A zone of the target. I dry fire 5-6 times a week. I go to the range for live fire practice to confirm what I learned in dry fire.
DuchessX and Twistedracer like this.
George16 is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 03:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,983
Likes Received 5945
I'm not an expert but the first target looked like apprehension of the bullet going off
Twistedracer likes this.
Firearms Collector is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
How do you do your dry fire?

When I dry fire with my shadow 2, I squeeze the trigger in DA. I do this for every drill I do while dryfiring. Examples of drill in Ben Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded book include some oof the following drills; Bill drill, El Presidente, 6 X 6 etc.

I do this with scale targets taped on the wall like this.


I have to make sure the dot or the front sight are always always on the A zone of the target. I dry fire 5-6 times a week. I go to the range for live fire practice to confirm what I learned in dry fire.
I have Zippo lighters on top my desktop that I use for targets. No problem keeping the sight steady on them.
Shooting double action at the range has been no problem. I just jerk the trigger during single action fire. Anticipation for some reason.

Last edited by Twistedracer; 07-13-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms Collector View Post
I'm not an expert but the first target looked like apprehension of the bullet going off
Yup, mental. Then jerking the trigger. No problems shooting double action though.

Last edited by Twistedracer; 07-13-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Twistedracer is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
George16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 1,651
Likes Received 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedracer View Post
Yup, mental. Then jerking the trigger. No problems shooting double action though.
Hmm. Then I would suggest just shooting as fast as you can on a berm without worrying of the front sight.

You can also practice the Doubles drill. Using a USPSA or IdPA target and starting at three yards, shoot doubles at the A zone as fast as you can. Use a timer if you have one. Look at your splits. At three yards, your splits should be around .12-.15 seconds.

Once you get comfortable with this, increase the distance to 5 yards and do the same procedure. Then increase youíre distance to 7, 10, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25 etc.

Anytime you miss the A zone, you have to start from the beginning again. Just make sure you bring a lot of ammo .
Twistedracer likes this.
George16 is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Twistedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 16,576
Likes Received 14724
Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
Hmm. Then I would suggest just shooting as fast as you can on a berm without worrying of the front sight.

You can also practice the Doubles drill. Using a USPSA or IdPA target and starting at three yards, shoot doubles at the A zone as fast as you can. Use a timer if you have one. Look at your splits. At three yards, your splits should be around .12-.15 seconds.

Once you get comfortable with this, increase the distance to 5 yards and do the same procedure. Then increase youíre distance to 7, 10, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25 etc.

Anytime you miss the A zone, you have to start from the beginning again. Just make sure you bring a lot of ammo .

Please send ammo for this endeavor
Definitely just need to shoot more after all this time off. Shoot a lot more.
Twistedracer is offline  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols > Legion Series

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2020 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.