Well i am looking for a CCW to carry on my ankle...tell me about the 224... - Page 3 - SIG Talk
SIG Talk Gun Forum

Well i am looking for a CCW to carry on my ankle...tell me about the 224...

This is a discussion on Well i am looking for a CCW to carry on my ankle...tell me about the 224... within the SIG Sauer Pistols forums, part of the SIG Sauer Forum category; Here are my 239, 232 and 224. If it was me, I would ankle carry the 232 before any other Sig. All of these I ...


Go Back   SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols

SIG Sauer Pistols SIG Sauer Pistol Forum: SIG Sauer Pistols - P210, P220, P224, P225, P226, P227, P228, P229, P232, P238, P239, P245, P250, P290, P320, P365, P522, P556, PM400, SP2022, Mosquito,

Like Tree36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
tcfiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,223
Likes Received 593
Here are my 239, 232 and 224. If it was me, I would ankle carry the 232 before any other Sig. All of these I have carried on my hip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jringo8769 and GFFIREMEDIC53 like this.
tcfiero is offline  
Register

Welcome to the SIG Talk Forum dedicated to SIG Sauer Pistols and SIG Sauer Rifles.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the SIG Talk Forum!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,535
Likes Received 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayern View Post
My favorite is a S&W Mod. 36. They also make an Airweight. 2d is a Sig 290RS.
I had a s&w model 36 2 inch. Bought in the 70's, Recently sold it. Wore on a ankle holster at times when I was on police dept. I was a lot younger. It got heavy. There may be some better ankle holsters these days.
jringo8769 likes this.
Jerrysea is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
jringo8769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western NY
Posts: 762
Likes Received 397
Hey can anyone tell me this...will a p224 fit in a p239 holster?
I see there is quite a few available for the 239 and almost nothing for the 224....thank u all for the great info and pics....God Bless and have a great Easter too,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
jringo8769 is online now  
 
Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
jringo8769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western NY
Posts: 762
Likes Received 397
See i reallt want a sao/dao that is very close to my 220 .....and i like the 938 but really do not want just a sao again....i think there is some real advantage to the sao/dao....do not think i do not like the revolvers....i grew up with them and have had excellent service from all of mine....i have never had a good quality automatic ankle gun and really wanted one for a long time.....i love older guns and have had just about everything thru my hand witj my Dad and his best friend buying and trading most of my life...they were never very big on auto's till their first sig 220 and they were hooked...i just recently traded my colt officers acp and it was one of my favorites for a long time....i am hoping to make this next purchase one i keep for a very long time too

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
jringo8769 is online now  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
tcfiero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,223
Likes Received 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
Hey can anyone tell me this...will a p224 fit in a p239 holster?
I see there is quite a few available for the 239 and almost nothing for the 224....thank u all for the great info and pics....God Bless and have a great Easter too,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
Not a 239 but they will fit in a 229 without a rail. Garrett Industries makes some for the 224. I have one.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
tcfiero is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
SilverAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 187
Likes Received 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
Hey can anyone tell me this...will a p224 fit in a p239 holster?
I see there is quite a few available for the 239 and almost nothing for the 224....thank u all for the great info and pics....God Bless and have a great Easter too,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
I had a Garrett Ind. STX 2 (leather lined kydex) made for my 224. My 239 fits perfect. Just had to tighten the retention a little due to the slightly thinner slide. Not sure how it would work going to a thicker gun.
Not many holster companys jumped on the bandwagon for the 224.
Someone above mentioned the 290. I think that's DAO.
jringo8769 likes this.
SilverAnn is online now  
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
7.62Kolectr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: on guard......
Posts: 5,869
Likes Received 7375
Just curious. If and when the time comes how will you access it in a reasonable amount of time for it to be of use?
7.62Kolectr is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
PatFranklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,525
Likes Received 4921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Just curious. If and when the time comes how will you access it in a reasonable amount of time for it to be of use?
It is nothing short of impossible. Any range or combat training advisor will tell you to keep your handgun somewhere in the area of your torso. Now, in the case of my UC assignment, because of the nature of the case I had to use an ankle holster. I dreaded every minute of it.
PatFranklin is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #39
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: :
Posts: 18,374
Likes Received 12977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Just curious. If and when the time comes how will you access it in a reasonable amount of time for it to be of use?
I certainly can not and will not respond for the OP. However, in my case, I spend many hours per week driving through the high value luxury destination known as Daytwa. I have absolutely no issue drawing the weapon quickly and effectively from the seated position. When I am out and about on foot, I would much rather have the weapon on my ankle than in a man purse of some sort. May not be optimal but in the grand scheme of things, fairly effective for me.
jringo8769 likes this.
Malicious Compliance is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
ma6907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,422
Likes Received 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Compliance View Post
I certainly can not and will not respond for the OP. However, in my case, I spend many hours per week driving through the high value luxury destination known as Daytwa. I have absolutely no issue drawing the weapon quickly and effectively from the seated position. When I am out and about on foot, I would much rather have the weapon on my ankle than in a man purse of some sort. May not be optimal but in the grand scheme of things, fairly effective for me.
There is no SINGLE best, no perfect way to carry. Only what is best for YOU. IWB, OWB, Shoulder, Open Carry, pocket carry, Man Purse, Off Body, Ankle, Bra Carry, etc--it is all about how you train, your environment, and what makes you comfortable. As for in the car, I bought a cheap (+/- $20) Cup holder holster I have a cup holder in the door of my Maxima. If possible, I stick it in there when in the car. From what I have tried (for ME) that is best. Sometimes when carrying 2 weapons, I stick one in there and keep the other in its on-my-body location. The price has increased since I bought this, but here is a picture. Fits my Sigs,Glocks, and my "car gun" which is a Ruger 95 9mm.
Cup Holster | eBay
jringo8769 likes this.
ma6907 is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #41
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: :
Posts: 18,374
Likes Received 12977
That cup holster is quite interesting, ma6907. I have a couple of questions/concerns, however, about such a holster. First, how securely is the weapon secured to the vehicle when in this holster? My concern here is in the event of an accident, is there anything holding the weapon securely in place to preventing from skittering across the pavement? If this "holster" is merely placed into the typical cup holder in a car, I don't see it being all that secure. I also see no retention of the weapon inside the "holster."

The second concern I have with this holster has to do with administrative handling of the weapon. Does the weapon stay in the vehicle, inside a locked and secured box of some sort, when you leave the vehicle? If so, do you place the weapon, still in the "holster" inside this locked and secured box, or are you removing it and placing into the locked and secured box? Or are you removing the weapon from this holster and putting it into your on body carry holster when you leave the vehicle?

Most negligent discharges occur during this administrative handling of a loaded weapon. I take great pains to minimize or eliminate administrative handling of loaded weapons from my normal routines. Just some food for thought.
jringo8769 and PatFranklin like this.
Malicious Compliance is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
ma6907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,422
Likes Received 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Compliance View Post
That cup holster is quite interesting, ma6907. I have a couple of questions/concerns, however, about such a holster. First, how securely is the weapon secured to the vehicle when in this holster? My concern here is in the event of an accident, is there anything holding the weapon securely in place to preventing from skittering across the pavement? If this "holster" is merely placed into the typical cup holder in a car, I don't see it being all that secure. I also see no retention of the weapon inside the "holster."

The second concern I have with this holster has to do with administrative handling of the weapon. Does the weapon stay in the vehicle, inside a locked and secured box of some sort, when you leave the vehicle? If so, do you place the weapon, still in the "holster" inside this locked and secured box, or are you removing it and placing into the locked and secured box? Or are you removing the weapon from this holster and putting it into your on body carry holster when you leave the vehicle?

Most negligent discharges occur during this administrative handling of a loaded weapon. I take great pains to minimize or eliminate administrative handling of loaded weapons from my normal routines. Just some food for thought.
In my vehicle (Maxima) , there is a deeper cup holder in the door that is made for a water bottle. This is where I keep the cup holster. I NEVER (never never) leave the weapon in the holster when I exit the vehicle. I either re holster the weapon if I am carrying that weapon where I am going or secure it in a locked box inside the vehicle. There is no retention of the weapon in the holster but in the configuration in my car, it is quite secure in the instance of an accident. (minus a rollover). I have had cup holders in several vehicles that seem to allow cups.bottles to tip over quite easily. My location is not one of those. If I can get up off my lazy easter arse later, I will snap a picture of it. I do not use it every time I get in and out of my vehicle and have other scenarios that I practice, but this is an option for me. For example, I especially like to use it in ATM lines or fast food drive-throughs late at night and other times when I am sitting in my car, somewhat stop and go, with people walking to their cars and loitering about and I feel a bit more vulnerable. I can sit there, hand on my weapon, trigger covered, and present the weapon, one handed if necessary quite rapidly--without having it in my lap or hand. For me I think it cuts down on some administrative handling as I am not apt to drop it but can still easily draw it one handed(--ie it is better than sitting on my lap.) Again, it is not my primary carry method or anything--just a tool that I utilize on occasion.
jringo8769 likes this.
ma6907 is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
7.62Kolectr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: on guard......
Posts: 5,869
Likes Received 7375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma6907 View Post
There is no SINGLE best, no perfect way to carry. Only what is best for YOU. IWB, OWB, Shoulder, Open Carry, pocket carry, Man Purse, Off Body, Ankle, Bra Carry, etc--it is all about how you train, your environment, and what makes you comfortable. As for in the car, I bought a cheap (+/- $20) Cup holder holster I have a cup holder in the door of my Maxima. If possible, I stick it in there when in the car. From what I have tried (for ME) that is best. Sometimes when carrying 2 weapons, I stick one in there and keep the other in its on-my-body location. The price has increased since I bought this, but here is a picture. Fits my Sigs,Glocks, and my "car gun" which is a Ruger 95 9mm.
Cup Holster | eBay
The pictures they show in the auction link would not be legal in many states and may get you shot from a jumpy cop. Putting that thing in your door cupholder may work. But here in Florida it still wouldn't pass as it cannot be visible or in the open, permit or not. It needs to be securely encased, or out of view or holstered. Many times the officers approach the vehicle from passenger side and may see that. For sure if they ask you to exit the vehicle and you open the door they will.
It is an interesting idea and another solution though.
jringo8769 likes this.
7.62Kolectr is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
jringo8769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western NY
Posts: 762
Likes Received 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfiero View Post
Here are my 239, 232 and 224. If it was me, I would ankle carry the 232 before any other Sig. All of these I have carried on my hip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well thank u ....the two p224 and the p239 are very close in size other than the grip and width....,appreciate it God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
jringo8769 is online now  
Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
jringo8769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western NY
Posts: 762
Likes Received 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Compliance View Post
Here are some pix for you to compare sizes.

First up, G33 (same size as G26) and P224 (sizes almost identical):





Next up, P224 (top) vs P239 (I see the shorter grip of the P224 as being highly advantageous vs the thinness of the P239):





SIG Ultra 1911 9mm vs P239 (very similar in size):





And, finally, P229 vs P224 (need I say more?):





Hope these help a bit!
Well that really helped...thank u so much really appreciate it
God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
jringo8769 is online now  
Reply

  SIG Talk > SIG Sauer Forum > SIG Sauer Pistols


Search tags for this page

sig ankle carry pistols

,

sig sauer p224 vs p239

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar SIG Talk Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P938 Pocket carry - proper condition Jre32 P238, P938 Pistol 56 01-07-2018 06:15 PM
Difference between Carry and Compact w/Xgrips grip modules and what I went with Garman P250, P320, & P320 X-5 Pistols 8 10-26-2016 01:06 PM
Do you change your carry pistol ?? whitewabit Concealed Carry 77 09-08-2016 07:10 PM
Considering Ankle Carry - What do I need to know ? Fardoche Concealed Carry 28 07-23-2016 08:14 PM


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List

Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2010 - 2020 SIG Talk. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.SIG Talk is a SIG Sauer Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent SIG Sauer, Inc. of Exeter, NH.